Yesterday, while I was cleaning the lint catcher, something fell down the lint chute. I couldn’t see it or reach down the chute. I didn’t even know what fell in, but after one attempt, I could see that the machine wasn’t going to work anymore.
I tried using a tool we have that’s made of wire and can pinch and pick up objects. Since I couldn’t see what or where the item was, this didn’t work. I really didn’t want to pay our handyman to fix this.
Today I went on YouTube, glorious YouTube and found that I’m not the only klutz to make this mistake. I watched the video above and saw that I could fix this myself. I love the esteem boost I get from such challenges so I went to the hardware store to get the tools suggested in the video below, (the video moved too fast for me to follow).
Turned out the socket wrench didn’t work so I went to Lowes, because the hardware store’s customer service was so slow. There the helpful associate helped me select the specific screwdriver needed ($4.97 plus tax). Once I got home I started to work. It didn’t just take 10 minutes, but it wasn’t hard to do. I did struggle with repositioning the outer chute, but after two trips to nearby stores, and about a half hour of working on the machine, our dryer’s back in working order. Total price $5.45. I think I’m stuck with the other tools, but they weren’t that expensive and I can either keep them or sell them on eBay.
Fix it cost: $5.45
Self-Esteem boost: priceless