Sepia Saturday Theme Image 389

When I saw this darling girl interrupted from her writing, I knew I wanted to find some good photos of people at their writing desk. It’s crucial to have a good place to think and write. Here’s what I found on Flickr Commons.

8414592314_1dc8aa9175_z

Constantin Dumba, 1910, Library of Congress

3294656313_7a5533214a_z

Miss Young, 1926 from Musée McCord

11354007213_cd966d59dc_z

G. Polacco, 1915, Library of Congress

14784071055_6e3a9ecf85_z

“Hygiene of the Schoolroom,” 1910 The Internet Archive

14783723302_cd613e5a24_z

“Hygiene of the School House,” 1910, Internet Archive

Oct 14, 2017 @ 02:59:34

A great selection of people at their desks. Good see that one of them is possibly left-handed.

2. Wendy
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 07:48:28

Hygiene of the Classroom?? I wonder what that means. The pictures don’t offer any clues.

Oct 14, 2017 @ 08:05:32

I was amused by the similarities and differences between the little girl’s photo and Constantin Dumba’s. Same pose, but very different expressions.

4. Molly of Molly's Canopy
    Oct 14, 2017 @ 10:13:35

My personal favorite is the girl in the white dress in Hygiene of the Schoolhouse sitting at that fabulous desk. Perhaps it’s the isolation of the desk from others that makes it hygienic? Or is this a reference to neatness?

Oct 14, 2017 @ 20:57:36

I tried looking up “School Hygiene” or “Hygiene of the School” and found nothing that shed light on the matter. I’m guessing it’s neatness. Though the isolation is a good guess. I think in older times students were crammed together on benches.

Oct 14, 2017 @ 13:34:55

A nice cross-section of various types of desks. The girl sitting at the wrought iron scrolled desk reminded me of the desks I sat at when I was in my early school years. We had the same exact desks!

Oct 14, 2017 @ 20:22:08

An interesting group. Herr Dumba seems to be holding a pencil, but the others have fountain pens I think. The way they all hold an upright pen may be a style of handwriting that was used with smear-able ink. Likewise letter papers needed to be blotted and pens refilled with ink. An orderly desk was a neat and clean desk.

Oct 15, 2017 @ 18:52:59

Interesting that the two last shots show the same desks, but in isolation rather than squeezed into rows as they were in reality, such that the girl would be sitting directly on the same furniture as the boy’s writing surface…and those surfaces obtained so many initials carved with pencils and pens (and knives too) over the years!

8. Lorraine
    Oct 16, 2017 @ 06:06:35

What an orderly desk Miss Young has. I’m guessing she ran a very orderly hospital.

Oct 16, 2017 @ 09:10:55

I’m with Miss Young. An orderly desk always!