Sepia Saturday Theme Image 388

The prompt above made me search for photos of cars in cities. Cars of bygone days are so elegant and romantic, don’t you agree?

Landscape

US National Archives, Jamaica Beach, NY, 1973

Aren’t you glad that isn’t your car?

lhj car

Internet Archives, Dodge Magazine ad, n.d.

lindenwood

Missouri State Archives, 1924

1904 car

Internet Archives, 1904, ad

To see more interpretations of this week’s theme, go to Sepia Saturday.

Oct 06, 2017 @ 11:41:20

That poor first car!

Oct 06, 2017 @ 21:12:14

Your picture of the 1904 Winton reminded me of a date I went on once with a fellow who owned a Model A Ford (or was it a Model T? Not sure) Anyway, at first I thought it was great – really unique – until we actually started driving. The car was so noisy we couldn’t talk at all without yelling at each other. Not very romantic.

Oct 07, 2017 @ 09:17:58

Automobile styles are so characteristic of their time. Curves, angles, dimensions, color, etc. reflect what manufacturers thought people would buy. That 1904 model for instance looks like a well appointed carriage without horse. I often look at our contemporary cars and wonder which models will be considered classics in 50 years.

4. Scotsue
    Oct 07, 2017 @ 10:18:50

The American cars are so big compared to the British models, but I can relate to,the typical 1950’s outfits, in the second image. My father wore a trilby hat , my mother a “costume” with a pinched-in waist and a hat like that, and I wore a bonnet to match my Sunday best coat.

5. Molly of Molly's Canopy
    Oct 07, 2017 @ 12:02:04

These are just great! My family owned the Dodge in the first ad in the 1950s — it was maroon and the exterior would get a white, chalky dust all over it if it wasn’t waxed! My maternal Italian ancestors owned a car like the last one. Thanks for the walk down memory lane 🙂

6. Jo in Melbourne Aus
    Oct 08, 2017 @ 02:04:18

Those Missouri girls look like they are having fun!

Oct 08, 2017 @ 13:39:28

Good idea to compile all the photos of cars! What a journey through time!