Marguerite

margarite

Touching and true, Marguerite (2015) is set in France of the 1920s. The central character Marguerite loves music and supports her local music club lavishing funds on them with the one stipulation that she’s allowed to sing at various concerts. The film opens with such a concert that she hosts at her mansion. The musicians and young singer who opens the performance are top notch, but when Marguerite takes the stage glass cracks and you want to cover your ears. She has no idea what pitch is. Two cads from Paris who crash the event are delighted. Their twisted sensibilities find her the perfect means of satirizing the current art scene.

Yet no one — not her unfaithful husband, her duplicitous servant, the voice coach who’s desperate for money or her friends at the music club — will tell her the truth. Encouraged by the cads, Marguerite decides to sing publicly and while many know they should tell Marguerite that she can’t sing, no one can burst her bubble.

Listening to Marguerite’s screeching and seeing her tricked all the way to the rather sad ending isn’t easy but it is enjoyable enough. It was good for a long flight and the lead actress Catherine Frot made me sympathize with and like a character who would be easy to look down on.

1. chava61
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 14:28:46

I saw that movie on Netflix and found it rather sad.

2. smkelly8
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 15:56:25

I did not think it was a comedy, which is how IMBD categorizes it. I liked her so I thought it was touching, but the end was sad. I liked the main character because the was kind, but that everyone treated her for their own gain was tragic.

3. smkelly8
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 15:58:12

I doubt I’d have watched it if I weren’t on a plane.

They also had a similar film with Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant. Both are based on true stories. I wouldn’t want to watch two such films. People were definitely just interested in cashing in on Marguerite. I wished the young singer had befriended her and told her the truth.

Liked by 2 people

4. Colline
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 08:19:45

Sounds like a movie I would enjoy watching especially if it is in French.

5. smkelly8
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 11:09:38

Colline, it is in French. It’s beautifully done, though sad, but that’s part of life. It’s creative and different.

6. The Coastal Crone
    Jan 31, 2017 @ 10:28:45

It sounds a bit like the movie “Florence Foster Jenkins” that I saw a few months ago. Rather sad also.