What to Wear, Teachers

As the new school season approaches, teachers, especially new ones may wonder what to wear to work. I’ve noticed a lot depends on the context. Yet overall, I tend to believe in looking professional. We’re not paid highly in most places so you don’t want to rack up dry cleaning bills so I’d go with pants, skirts and dresses (the last two for women) that are washable cottons or synthetics. I’m also conscious of the weather. Air conditioning isn’t a given everywhere and you don’t want to melt in August. The first week play it safe by going with short sleeves and skirts or dresses that go to the knee. Once you’ve seen how the other teachers dress and note any negative comments made about other teachers, you’ll figure out the norm.

You want the administrators to have a good impression of you so don’t be too rebellious.

If you’re teaching overseas note what the local teachers wear and be as or a little more formal than they are. While in North America some professors wear jeans, in Korea suits and outfits you’d see bankers wear was the norm. In China they’re less formal. Some men wear a nice shirt and pants, while women can wear dresses and skirts. A few would wear athletic clothes, but I would avoid that. We did have some foreign teachers who dressed like they were going to do chores, i.e. they wore an oversized t-shirt and shorts. None of them got a whole lot of respect.

Jeans are popular and can be dressed up. It all depends on what you wear with them. Still I’ve avoided jeans. Gossip is part of teaching and when someone’s writing an evaluation or criticizing they’ll say, “the teacher wears jeans all the time,” not “the teacher wears dark blue jeans with tops from Ann Taylor all the time.” I also figure if I want the profession to earn the sort of salaries business people and lawyers make, why not dress accordingly?

In Muslim countries women’ll probably be told what’s acceptable. Always ask first. In Indonesia most settings are pretty open, but cover your shoulders and knees. At my last setting we sometimes were asked to wear veils. It didn’t seem to be worth the fight for a three week stint, but we were told that the faculty was debating whether or not non-Muslim visitors from overseas should have to cover their hair. Thus a respectful conversation would be fine. What are the guidelines in the Middle East? Comment below if you know.

Below is a fashion take from an American Middle School teacher, who does go more casual some days than I would.

1. chava61
    Aug 11, 2016 @ 18:30:23

Usually I wear long pants but not jeans for teaching.

Aug 11, 2016 @ 19:52:48

For me it depends on the season. In the fall and winter it’s pants, but not jeans. When it’s hot, I usually wear skirts or dresses. Last year as I said the teachers were so casual and sloppy. Students thought they weren’t professional. No doubt their actual teaching contributed to that belief.

Liked by 1 person

2. The Coastal Crone
    Aug 12, 2016 @ 14:11:22

Good advice for teachers everywhere! One must be professional in any profession.

3. ownescape
    Aug 14, 2016 @ 15:35:21

I’m really trying to work on my attire for this school year. I always dress appropriately, but I want to be more professional. Thanks for your post!

Liked by 1 person

Aug 19, 2016 @ 11:33:39

Hope this does help. There’s plenty of ways to show your personality and be professional. I’d also add that when teaching little children, I always wore clothes that could be washed and nothing too expensive. You never know what messes will come your way when teaching first grade.

Liked by 1 person

4. Expat Panda
    Oct 03, 2016 @ 11:42:42

The teacher’s dress code in the Middle East:

Men:

Formal shirts with ties. Formal pants and shoes (no sandals unless part of traditional Arabic dress).

Women:

Loose tops that sit below the hips. Sleeves should be elbow length and below. Skirts and dresses must sit below the knee. No flip flops, garish make up or untidy hair.

This is a basic outline of what is accepted at my school in Kuwait. Each school is different but I haven’t heard of anyone being forced to cover their hair or wear a veil.