Sepia Saturday Header

appledumplings_dunlopleslie

Domestic Servant in the Nineteenth Century

These kitchen-inspired paintings are part of the digital library “Below the Stairs” that I’m working on for a library class. Right now we’re just getting our documents up but it will soon have 100 items including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, images and editorials. More be up there soon.

Jan 30, 2016 @ 13:39:23

I love pictures like the ones you’ve shared. I’ll have to check out that digital library “Below the Stairs”. Sounds interesting.

2. luvviealex
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 14:28:59

What an interesting project! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

3. Scotsue
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 14:29:49

My taste in paintings too, and they portray so well, aspects of social history. I look forward to reading more in due course about your “Below Stairs” project.

4. hmchargue
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 16:41:12

Sweet. I too look forward to seeing your project complete.

5. Sharon
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 19:39:25

Oh so lovely! How great would these look framed and in the kitchen!

Jan 30, 2016 @ 19:44:45

Let us know when “Below the Stairs” is up and running! Sounds wonderful.

Jan 30, 2016 @ 19:50:01

The first artist has a photographer’s eye for good details. “Below the Stairs” sounds more interesting than “Above Stairs”.

8. Titania
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 01:04:08

I do love love these paintings; the glimpses of of the so called “good old times”. I am not sure if the people who laboured in the kitchens would call it that. I guess the work was not always as relaxed as the pretty girl peeling apples. I agree these paintings would be marvelous in the kitchen or dining room.

Jan 31, 2016 @ 12:26:22

Your project sounds interesting.

10. tatteredandlost
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 01:24:03

Oh yes, the beautiful pastel drawing of the The Chocolate Girl which was used by Baker’s Chocolate.