Sepia Saturday Header

This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt inspired me to search for images of old cafeterias. Flickr Commons had quite a few.

Source: Vancouver Public Library, 1950

Source: Vancouver Public Library, 1950

I love signs so the one above is a favorite.

5763050897_baba371874_z

Circa 1943

But then I also like pie, so I wanted to share this one from the Oregon State University special collection caught my eye. The one below shows WWI soldiers and a few civilians in 1918. And the final image is a postcard for a cafeteria. If you want to see more Sepia Saturday posts, click here.

Cornell University, circa 1918

Cornell University, circa 1918

16836277461_6dcf7213c2_z

Aug 21, 2015 @ 23:24:59

OMG, look at all that pie! Looks like apple, but it’s hard to tell. Looks like good crust, though. I love pie crust. My mom used to make cookies out of the leftover pie dough after making a pie. Cut in pieces, she’d sprinkle the dough with sugar & cinnamon & bake. Yum.

Aug 22, 2015 @ 11:03:14

Those cookies sound wonderful.

My guess on the pies was apple, but perhaps they’re peach. I suppose the summer weather here makes me think of peach pie.

2. Barbara
    Aug 22, 2015 @ 02:41:41

I do hope there was custard to go with the scrummy looking pie.
    I love the artwork on the postcard.

Aug 22, 2015 @ 08:21:23

When I worked in Boston, I visited a lunch counter every morning; my favorite waitress was another Susan (!!) and saved me a cinnamon doughnut every day. It was called Bickford’s — I’ll never forget it.

4. smkelly8
    Aug 22, 2015 @ 11:05:52

How great you were on a first name basis with the waitress. It reminds me of growing up. My grandmother frequented a restaurant in Marshall Field’s department store. Her name was Dorothy and she always waited on us and followed all the milestones of my grandmother’s family. It’s a shame we don’t have as many relationships of that sort, e.g. the mail carrier, the favorite waitress, etc.

5. The Coastal Crone
    Aug 22, 2015 @ 13:56:20

Good choices! I like the first one also.

6. hmchargue
    Aug 22, 2015 @ 18:40:44

I love that White Lunch sign. It’s great. I don’t remember a slice of pie being served in a bowl as it here.

7. luvviealex
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 04:33:45

Did you have to mention peach pie? Now I want some!

8. Joan
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 12:48:36

I was taken in by the stylish folks going into Edwart’s Cafeteria — a very uptown sort of place, evidently.