2015.05W-104

2163451008_196e4f79f0_z

This weeks’s Sepia Saturday prompt is a typewriter. As much as I love computers, there’s something romantic about old typewriters. While I wouldn’t buy one or in most cases prefer to use one, if I found my old one, I’d keep it and probably use it to type envelopes or possibly a letter.

Yet as the video above shows, a lot of kids have little idea of how to type with one since they’ve only seen them in old movies.

Selectric

Selectric

I remember that my aunt had a Selectric typewriter and I thought that was “the coolest,” so “easy” to correct mistakes.

typewriter

My first typewriter looked a lot like this.

To see more photos inspired by this week’s prompt, go to Sepia Saturday.

My first

1. The Coastal Crone
    Jun 20, 2015 @ 11:43:00

Too funny! I would not go back either but I learned to type on a manual.

Jun 20, 2015 @ 12:07:51

I loved that video of the kids! Too funny.

Jun 20, 2015 @ 13:32:22

That first photo of the blind stenographer using a Dictaphone was really something! All those tubes! The video was fun. I like the looks of the small portable. Typewriter companies finally got smart & began creating pretty typewriters that appealed to women!

Jun 21, 2015 @ 09:35:20

The blind stenographer must have been so innovative in terms of work for the blind in the early 20th century. Not many opportunities, I imagine.

It always take a while for companies to figure out women. Why is that?

4. luvviealex
    Jun 20, 2015 @ 16:59:04

Very cute video. So hard to believe that I am a dinosaur ūüėČ

Jun 20, 2015 @ 19:01:29

That old Dictaphone is amazing — what a complicated system that poor woman had to operate! Now we do all of it with an IPhone!

6. violet s
    Jun 20, 2015 @ 20:28:07

It took me a long time to learn that I didn’t need to press so hard on the keys of the computer keyboard!

7. boundforoz
    Jun 21, 2015 @ 08:51:29

I suddenly have memories of putting in the carbon paper and getting smudges on the finger tips from it.

Jun 21, 2015 @ 16:05:42

Old typewriters look like great toys for kids–much better than the toy typewriters that they used to make for kids. They probably cost less now than new toys.

Jun 22, 2015 @ 08:00:27

Great video! Funny how we don’t really remember how hard it was when we only had typewriters – guess we just made do, but computers are a wonderful advance in so many ways.

10. Wendy
    Jun 22, 2015 @ 16:32:41

Typing with a dictaphone – now that was a skill!

11. gluepot
    Jun 22, 2015 @ 17:28:50

I remember the first “electronic” typewriters – as opposed to “electric” – which had a small screen displaying one line of text. You typed the line, made any corrections needed, then pressed enter to send it to the keys! How quaint that seems now.

12. Joan
    Jun 23, 2015 @ 13:12:15

Oh, what a surprise. I did a double take at the old manual in the first photo. The typewriter my mom used at the Weyl-Zuckerman Farms looked very much like that one. It was probably a relic from their main office in California — they never threw anything away. As a child I thought it was magical.