2015.03W.43

Order Coal?

Hmm.

I’ll go with posters, 1920s posters for this week’s Sepia Saturday. Whenever I teach The Great Gatsby, I touch upon the culture of self-improvement and how Gatsby tapped into that when he was young. In that era “self-improvement” was a pervasive value and posters like those below were found in workplaces and throughout the community to promote hard work, savings and “common sense.”

worry

tight wad

rest

criticism

Apr 11, 2015 @ 14:45:41

That second poster has it almost right “Own Something”. It should have gone just a bit further, but who knew before 1929? “Own Something Outright”!

2. hmchargue
    Apr 11, 2015 @ 17:09:22

Great posters. I love the first one. I wonder who Bill Jones was.

Apr 11, 2015 @ 20:21:46

I always worry too much, but I think it is good to worry a little.

4. gluepot
    Apr 12, 2015 @ 00:39:14

That last poster is so very last century. Doesn’t look as though the man’s much into taking criticism.

Apr 12, 2015 @ 06:46:30

Those posters are full of good advice, but it’s often much easier to give advice than to follow it. Also what one person considers helpful criticism may not be received the same way.

Apr 12, 2015 @ 12:30:40

Oh yes, I don’t think I’d dare criticise the piano teacher – a rapped knuckle was probably more his style.

Apr 12, 2015 @ 12:37:32

I thought the same thing about the man giving advice and wondering how people would have taken a poster with the woman giving him advice.

Apr 13, 2015 @ 20:52:17

The poster artwork is wonderful, and I enjoyed the larger gallery at your link for “Bill Jones”. These early motivational ideas were probably part of the first modern movement for “scientific” industrial efficiency.

Apr 14, 2015 @ 09:20:52

Great to see old posters. The new link is up for SS and I haven’t yet read all of last week’s posts. SO I’m flying through them!