2015.01W-42

Source: Flickr Commons, Univ. of Illinois

Source: Flickr Commons, Univ. of Illinois

Source: Flickr Commons, Library of Congress, 1893

Source: Flickr Commons, Library of Congress, 1893

Source: Flickr Commons, National Library of Ireland

Source: Flickr Commons, National Library of Ireland

This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt made me think of pottery, one of my great loves. The top two images I’ve chosen have illustrations, which I think connect them with their eras in a particular way.

If you want to see more Sepia Saturday interpretations, click here .

1. Sharon
    Feb 07, 2015 @ 04:12:37

The video didn’t work for me.

I feel a bit silly asking but what is the second picture?

Feb 08, 2015 @ 00:06:56

I didn’t post the video. It’s an ad so don’t worry, you haven’t missed much.

The second image is of a ceramic plate with boxers painted on it.

Feb 07, 2015 @ 08:53:55

Great coincidences…today is Dicken’s birthday…or did you do that on purpose? I don’t understand the second photo, which looks as if it’s an early attempt at motion pictures. But just look at all those jugs in the production pottery! I’ll stick to “hobby craft” for my pottery!

Feb 07, 2015 @ 09:51:01

Oh..that’s what it is! Yes, it does look like some kind of animation machine. Excellent. Love all the Dickens characters around the top plate!

4. Rosie
    Feb 07, 2015 @ 09:54:14

I have one of those antique jugs and I like the looks of it!

5. Joan
    Feb 07, 2015 @ 11:38:48

I liked the combination of pottery as representation of eras, as art forms and practical necessity. Good choices.

Feb 07, 2015 @ 13:09:32

Commemorative plates are always popular. The second, with the hole in the center, must be meant to spin and thereby see boxers hitting each other. Not necessarily anything that would interest me, but obviously meant enough to some to be worth creating such a piece. Mass production pieces, if made long ago, can be interesting.

Feb 08, 2015 @ 04:36:07

What are the little silver sticks or slivers on the boxing plate? They look they are embedded in the plate, not just on it.

8. Alan Burnett
    Feb 08, 2015 @ 04:39:29

I seem to recall we have a couple of such “theme plates” stashed away somewhere but nothing like as beautiful as your first image.

Feb 08, 2015 @ 18:42:47

Painted plates and crockery pots have disappeared in our modern life. I wonder if people 100 years from now will collect plastic containers.

Feb 09, 2015 @ 11:30:46

Ah Mr Dickens, my hero. I think the second picture is a zoetrope.