2014.08W.26

This week we’re to dig around the archives for images of fans. I first found a fan from the Cornell University Library showing Spanish War heroes with President McKinley in 1898.

4360059598_b7a461547c_z

Flickr Commons: Cornell University

Irish students (and teachers) decked out in Japanese costumes.

Source: Flickr Commons, National Library of Ireland

Source: Flickr Commons, National Library of Ireland

It seems no debutante worth her salt was without a fan in Queensland.

9306553096_f49b4d50a8_z

Flickr Commons: State Library of Queensland, 1929

For more interpretations of the fan prompt, go to Sepia Saturday.

1. Sherri
    Aug 23, 2014 @ 00:19:21

Interesting spanish war heroes fan. Definitely not as attractive as the Japanese fans, though.

Aug 23, 2014 @ 07:19:07

The Spanish War heroes fan is amazing. I wonder whether anyone really used that sort of fan to fan themselves.

3. Sharon
    Aug 23, 2014 @ 08:44:31

Japanese costumes has featured a lot this week. I did have one of those umbrella’s that my grandmother bought me. I wonder what ever happenned to it?

Aug 23, 2014 @ 11:52:28

Quite a hero fan there.

Aug 23, 2014 @ 17:42:16

Wonderful pictures, all. I especially like the Queenslander Debutante as old fashioned pictures like that intrigue me.

6. Lorraine
    Aug 24, 2014 @ 00:01:39

What? A fan with images of war heroes? What an amazing idea!

7. Alan BURNETT
    Aug 24, 2014 @ 11:25:27

That first fan is remarkable, well worth viewing. And once again I find myself humming tunes from the Mikado as I read a post.

Aug 24, 2014 @ 21:05:38

I suspect there were a good number of fans made by men to sell to other men who gave them as gifts to wives and sweethearts who said “why thank you dear” and then hid them away in a drawer.

Aug 25, 2014 @ 09:18:36

Those Queenslander covers are always so striking.