write

This week’s prompt led me to the National Library of Scotland’s digital archive which had these photos of WWI soldiers writing letters. All are circa 1918. What a war! It’s centennial has given us more opportunities to read and watch to learn about its devastation. I’m sure these letters home were such a relief and reassurance.

4699808831_d023472c29_z

4699938042_aa97c4efd9_z4699957368_e79fd693b6_z

1. hmchargue
      Aug 15, 2014 @ 17:24:34

I’m amazed at how efficient the mail service was back then and during a war!! Those letters must have been treasured.

2. smkelly8
      Aug 15, 2014 @ 23:45:21

Even now i’m amazed at how letters get to our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Aug 16, 2014 @ 09:42:18

It looks like they found a place to sit and write wherever they were.

Aug 16, 2014 @ 12:23:08

Interesting to see them sitting and writing and I thought of the amazing sending and receiving of letters under war time conditions.

Aug 16, 2014 @ 14:42:55

I love seeing the pictures of them actually writing; just like my husband (Caminante) in his post this week. Somehow it makes the connection more real.

6. boundforoz
      Aug 16, 2014 @ 20:00:23

Marvellous to see them writing whenever and whereever the opportunity presented itself

Aug 16, 2014 @ 20:16:23

I suspect that in this war, a regular postal service for the troops was the best way to maintain good morale.

Aug 16, 2014 @ 20:58:38

Absolutely. Also a means to make sense of the war and their part in it. It’s important for the people on the home front to know what the war was like so they could help the soldiers who returned. As for those who didn’t I’m sure their families treasured those letters.

8. Karen S.
      Aug 16, 2014 @ 23:17:48

Ah much like I thought would be fun, to show them in real live writing action. Especially the last one! I’m still smiling over him!

9. genepenn
      Aug 17, 2014 @ 01:58:02

I wonder who took the photos, they must have been so homesick they were away so long, I think the gent in the final photo wanted to say something very private indeed.

Aug 17, 2014 @ 14:49:58

That’s quite an apparatus the last soldier pictured is sitting on as he writes. What on earth is it? It looks like a fancy corner shelving unit?

Aug 17, 2014 @ 15:40:38

What is that last man sitting on, anyway? Looks precarious!

12. Sharon
      Aug 18, 2014 @ 07:56:45

I also wondered what the last man was sitting on. Did you notice the Horseshoe, which is upside down…..not a good omen!

13. Sherri
      Aug 19, 2014 @ 14:55:35

Having a few moments of “peace” to think and reflect about your home and become totally immersed in writing to your loved ones. I can just imagine the pictures running through their minds as they are writing. It must have been such a relief to “get away” for a while. I love these photos. Thank you.