2014.07W45

This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt is: Proverbs. Looking through Flickr Commons I found these three from Miami University’s collection. They’re Victorian ads, but beyond that there was no more information. Does anyone know anything about the A. Shuman store?

3092757073_1b3e153581_o

3092839425_97c9ca2e0a_o

3093608280_6356e49f83_o

A search on Bing got me more gems:

letter

prov

proverbs

seeing is believing

sympathy

There’s a lot o good proverbs on this week’s Sepia Saturday post.

1. Alan BURNETT
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 04:47:48

Oh I rather like style No. 7. It would suit be down to the ground, that would. I wonder if it is still available.

2. Wendy
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 07:18:49

The Shuman ads are my favorite – love the artwork and the attitude. They all seem to say “you get what you pay for,” but in such a more elegant and refined way.

Aug 03, 2014 @ 10:30:34

I love the way Shumans made up their own ‘proverbs’ – a bit finger-wagging though aren’t they?

4. boundforoz
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 18:53:52

A cute collection.

Aug 03, 2014 @ 23:31:05

In #7, how convenient it must have been to find a chair right out there in the middle of the woods. :))

Aug 03, 2014 @ 23:32:59

Um, to clarify, that’s picture #7, not outfit #7

7. genepenn
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 19:01:12

You’ve found a good collection to illustrate this week’s theme. Your comment on people dressing to go out – it is still in my genes – I change my clothes to go down the street and I look around me and wonder why do I bother, on the other hand my husband goes out in any old thing.

Aug 05, 2014 @ 01:44:26

A fun collection! Proverbs like this have rather been thrown out the window these days, and no one appreciates having them quoted at them, especially if they have a disapproving or ‘I told you so’ tone.