handshake

This week’s prompt made me think of a good strong handshake, and especially how politicians are known for them.

Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 1.48.20 AM

1963

nixon 1970

1970

1913

1913

1. Sharon
    Jul 06, 2014 @ 05:59:34

My father encouraged me to practise shaking hands. He warned that a “wet fish” pr “knuckle squeezer ” should not be trusted. Good eye contact and a firm (but not squeezing) grip were best.

2. Colline
    Jul 06, 2014 @ 09:01:50

An interesting collection. Like the one with Elvis in it.

Jul 06, 2014 @ 12:59:18

Elvis and Tricky Dickie – that’s one handshake I might not have trusted? That first handshake was rather nostalgic!

4. smkelly8
    Jul 06, 2014 @ 20:56:09

Yes, I agree. I don’t remember JFK, but he lived on in history.

Jul 07, 2014 @ 08:12:59

There’s nothing like a good firm hand shake; I can’t stand a clammy limp-wristed, no-effort one.

Jul 08, 2014 @ 05:15:36

Don’t politicians primarily shake hands for the cameras? There is a famous one in Australia between political opponents in which one man looks like he is about to wrench the other leader’s arm off. As a result he was widely criticised for being aggressive and a bully, and subsequently lost the election.

7. genepenn
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 06:37:15

I agree a firm handshake is a pleasant way to greet someone you have just met, though it can tend to be a bit of a bloke’s thing. I often feel some men look surprised when I also extend my hand for a hand shake.

8. Tattered and Lost
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 18:26:45

I used to know a man who had a handshake that felt like you put your hand in a vice. I hate shaking his hand. He was a wonderful man, but my hand was always useless for awhile after the shake. And of course I had to smile while he did it.

You just have to wonder what Elvis was thinking when he put that outfit on. Slightly delusional.