For me Nora Ephron leads the pack for modern films and Audrey Hepburn stars in some of the best “oldies.”
- You’ve Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. As a book lover the loss of the book store adds poignancy.
- Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn, William Holden and Humphrey Bogart. A perfect Cinderella story.
- When Harry Met Sally with Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. Just perfect. I loved the scenes with the older couples.
- Notting Hill, with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.
- My Fair Lady, a musical based on Shaw’s Pigmailion, starring Audrey Hepburn and Harrison
- Roman Holiday, Audrey’s break out film with Gregory Peck.
- French Kiss, with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline, you get to see France and Ryan. The film’s not terrific but the setting and Ryan make it worthwhile.
- Annie Hall, a Woody Allen classic, starring Diane Keaton. Sometimes moving on is the happy ending.
- Something’s Gotta Give, Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson show that even those over 35 can find new love.
- Philadelphia Story with Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant.
I’m sure next week, I’d change up this list. What would you recommend.
I admit I like any romantic comedy with a smart heroine.
- 20 Best Rom-Coms To Make Your Valentine’s Day Complete (923now.cbslocal.com)
- 10 Best Romantic Comedies of All Time! (thenew1037.cbslocal.com)