Plinky.com has a writing prompt today that captured my interest: What have you been reading lately?
Currently, I’ve got a few good books going:
- Kindred by Octavia Butler. The Writer’s Almanac mentioned her recently on her birthday. She’s an African American sci fi novelist. That combination is rare so I discovered her novel Kindred, which looks at a biracial couple from the 1970s who get transported back to Antebellum Maryland.
- A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell is a delicious British novel set after WWII. It’s witty and the observations of social relations acute. I’m just starting volume 5, Casanova’s Chinese Restaurant.
- Moby Dick in Pictures. Last month (and the month before) my online book club read Moby Dick. Now I’m flipping through graphic artists Matt Kish’s opus. He’s illustrated each page of Melville’s work. It’s extraordinary.
- Madame Bovary. This month’s book club choice and quite funny. I’ve read this twice before and do get more out of it each time.
So what have you been reading?
- Teaser Tuesday (xingu2.wordpress.com)
- Moby Dick (xingu2.wordpress.com)
- Moby Dick: Day 11 (paradigmeraki.wordpress.com)
- Moby Dick: Day 14 (paradigmeraki.wordpress.com)
- Babble.com: Judging A Book By Its Cover: A 6-Year-Old Guesses What Classic Novels Are All About (huffingtonpost.com)
- Review: A Dance to the Music of Time: Fourth Movement, by Anthony Powell (laurasmusings.wordpress.com)
- From the Writer’s Almanac (xingu2.wordpress.com)
- Bellow’s Birthday (xingu2.wordpress.com)