open sepai

This week’s Sepia Saturday is an open theme. It’ll force me to post some Mr Selfridge photos I haven’t had time to upload. These are from Selfridge Archives and WTTW’s Ask Jeffrey segment on Harry Selfridge.

harry-selfridge-rosalie

Harry Selfridge (r) with daughter Rosalie

Rosalie and Violette Selfridge

Rosalie and Violette Selfridge

Selfridges_heritage_1885-1890

Marshall Fields where he innovated shopping

Marshall Fields where he innovated shopping

Older Harry on top of his store

Older Harry on top of his store

Oxford St. Selfridges in 1909

Oxford St. Selfridges in 1909

About these ads

1. Wendy
    Jun 07, 2014 @ 06:13:44

I wonder how much work older Harry actually did on that roof!

Jun 07, 2014 @ 13:26:16

Your entry encouraged me to seek out Harry Selfridge’s background and it was quite a story, made into a TV series. Unfortunately, like some self-made millionaires, he had ‘airs’ about himself and what he was entitled to, and could, do.

3. Nancy
    Jun 07, 2014 @ 20:02:49

Who is the female with Harry in the first photo? She looks like/reminds me of an actress. It’s an interesting view from the roof. Having just come from Boobook’s post where the comments were discussing safety rules, that comes to mind when I look at the roof photo. It looks like a precarious place to be!

Jun 08, 2014 @ 18:05:02

I just added a caption. It’s his daughter Rosalie. Seems the archives don’t have photos of Harry with his lady “friends.”

I just saw Harold Lloyd’s film “Safety Last” not too long ago. That seems to sum up the era’s attitude.

4. ScotSue
    Jun 08, 2014 @ 05:01:34

A great snapshot history of a well known store.

5. Michael
    Jun 08, 2014 @ 15:50:45

Enjoyed the post and the Show.

6. Alan BURNETT
    Jun 09, 2014 @ 01:32:04

You have to admire an entrepreneur who is prepared to take up a pick and stand on the top of his building.

Jun 10, 2014 @ 07:55:32

very interesting to read about and put a face to the man behind the Selfridge store name.

8. Violet
    Jun 10, 2014 @ 18:31:23

Love the ‘photo op’ on the roof! This is a great show and a great store (not that I’ve ever shopped there, but I did wander through once.)

Jun 11, 2014 @ 17:39:20

I didn’t see the TV programmes but the story behind a store is always fascinating.

10. Trackback: Sepia Saturday | Ruined for Life: Phoenix Edition