Last weekend, the weekend of the Blues Festival, there were several murders and violent muggings in Chicago. I’ve read 11 murders and 9. The mayor has slashed police coverage to save money as part of his plan to get finances back in line.
An unintended result is a wave of crime, which has erupted the past two summers. Second City Cop is a blog written from the perspective of a beat cop. This blog is a good addition to reading the news, which hasn’t handled this story with much depth.
I do question the Second City Cop’s claim that this surge in violence can be traced back to the 60s. He just doesn’t substantiate that claim. Yes, there is more violence, but it seems the date of the 60s is somewhat random. True the 60s were a revolutionary time, but some of the changes that began then aren’t anything the younger generation, the culprits in these crimes would be aware of at all.
I do see that with the use of cell phones, it’s easier to summon a gang of thugs. We also have a culture that is enthralled with violence. So many games and dramas center on violence. There’s a much weaker message of peace. Peace isn’t cool to many.
- Cities With The Worst Gang Violence (whocaresinthebigcity.wordpress.com)
- McCarthy: City’s Crime Crisis Is ‘Not Going To Be Solved Overnight’ (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Chicago’s crime problem: A matter of “perception” (chicagoreader.com)
- Chicago: Murder Cases Hit Record High … (faktensucher.wordpress.com)
- Stop The Violence: Blood Spilled In The Streets Of Chicago This Past Weekend, 8 Killed, Over 40 Shot! (bossip.com)
- Violent Chicago Weekend (whocaresinthebigcity.wordpress.com)