I just finished reading Erik Larson‘s The Devil in the White City, the 2003 book that pairs the building of a dream, The 1893 Colombian Exposition with the nightmare of serial killer Dr. H. H. Holmes crimes. Spurred by Larson’s impeccable research and description of the era I decided to dig around myself and found some images of the fair.
People thought it would topple over or wind would cause disaster.
I’ll add more tomorrow. “Make no little plans, Mr. Burnham, indeed.”
- What Are You Reading? (xingu2.wordpress.com)
- LAW ‘N HISTORY: Dr. Slice, Dice and Saute (enterprisenews.com)
- Chicago’s Historic Reliance Building: Evokes the Tale of Legendary Architects Burnham and Atwood in the White City (vinoconvistablog.me)
- History of the World’s Fair (jottingswithjasmine.wordpress.com)
- What I’m Reading – In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson (nerdyapple.com)
- New In Paperback May 7-13 (npr.org)